Wednesday 16 November 2011

Lily & Bloom, Lan Kwai Fong, Hong Kong

I was at this restaurant on Sunday as a birthday brunch for my cousin. The place is located in Lan Kwai Fong, an area where there's a lot of bars and pubs. It's an airy place with a nice high ceiling, making a change from the densely packed spaces in Hong Kong. We were a party of nine adults (including my wife) and were sat in the 'Bloom' section of this eatery. The 'Lily' part was upstairs and was closed, maybe it was a bar only?

Anyway, back to the food. I decided to go for the 'Festival of Restaurants' set menu, where you had the choice of starter, main and dessert for your three course meal.

The starter I opted for was the artichoke and shitake fritter. It was very nice and I'd say it was the best of the three that I chose. The filling was delicious and not heavy, with it all shredded potato covering that was nicely fried and accompanied with a mint sauce and sweet chilli sauce.
Artichoke & Shitake fritter starter

The main was a stewed beef bresciole, which was ok. The meat seemed a bit tough considering it was stewed and there wasn't much flavour from the goat's cheese. It came with brussel sprouts (getting ready for Christmas?) that were halved and cooked until still firm and covered with a tomato sauce.

Main Course Bresciole
I chose Caramel as my dessert, which was very sweet and almost sickly. It was garnished with a some small citrus fruits to give it a bit of a twist.

Dessert
My wife chose fettuccine carbonara, where the pasta was cooked al dente and the sauce a touch salty. She, along with others decided to choose the free flow Cava option to accompany their food, although once ordered, it took a bit of time for the drinks to 'flow freely' but once service commenced the drink was poured fairly quickly and enough to get people a bit merry.

Fettuccine Carbonara 
Quite a few of us ordered some side dishes to share around. One was the hash brown that was crunchy and similar to the fritter starter, which was accompanied with a small pot of ketchup, at my wife's request.

Hash brown
Other items that were ordered but not pictured were Chorizos and mini-beefburgers, which were served in tapas styled dishes for everyone to share and enjoy.

I ordered a Bloody Mary as my drink, which came in two separate glasses for the alcohol and mixer, along with the celery garnish. An interesting touch but my mixing skills need a bit of improvement as it tasted rather strong at first then became a watery tomato juice at the end. It wasn't cheap either, costing an equivalent of £8.

The waiters were friendly but the food serving was a bit muddled and out of sync as I had finished my main course before another diner's main had arrived. Maybe they couldn't handle the party of nine that we were. However, as an change from bread that is sometimes given throughout the meals at western restaurants, we were given little doughnuts, which was a sweet alternative.

Lily and Bloom is a nice place and the food is well presented. However the best thing about this restaurant would be the unisex toilet with its lavish hand washing sink and dressing tables. However at their prices it's an expensive place to spend a penny.

Scores
Food: 3/5
Presentation: 4/5
Service: 2/5
Setting: 3/5
Overall: 12/20

Bill: Approximately 40GBP a head.

I ate: The 'Festival of Restaurants' Menu plus bits of the other items described above.

I drank: Bloody Mary, Cava, sparkling water.

I wore: casual clothes.

Lily and Bloom, 5 & 6F, LKF Tower, Lan Kwai Fong, Central

1 comment: